Honest opinion about CAIA?

Is it really worth it?

If your company is paying for it then yes; otherwise no. Completed FRM and CAIA but my view has always been experience > designation. If you have the experience and knowledge then i will say no even if your company is paying for it. Life is short, don’t waste your time. I did the the 2 designations in the first two years of my career and they helped me understand the stuff i was doing. However, I did my bachelor and master in Mathematics so reading anything finance related would have been helpful to me.

thank you. What I meant is it really worth it as a designation against CFA or others and regardless worth experience? Is it true it could be quite a bargain now?

In my opinion, the designation is worth doing if money is not a concern because it was pretty easy but if you put it against the CFA (as in CFA or CAIA rather than CFA and CAIA) then i will say do the CFA. CAIA is a nice compliment. Bargin? I suppose you mean that it is undervalued now so do it now before everybody jumps in. In that sense, yes, but there are no guarantees that this designation will grow in a way CFA has. With that said, no harm in doing it now. If you are just thinking about CAIA then go for it mate If you are thinking CFA or CAIA then go CFA. I did the following in 2 years CFA lvl1, CAIA lvl1, FRM Full, CAIA lvl2 and now i have lost the legs/motivation to complete the CFA. Thinking back, i may have been better to focus my attention on CFA and get it done in 2.5 years.

tfyim, thank you. That is what I am worried about. CFA is top notch, but much harder…I don’t think it’s unlikely to lose motivation over time, especially in the case of getting stuck on L2, for example. CAIA on the other side seems to be well recognized (just) in the hedge fund industry, that is what I am in at the moment. And I can get it done in one year. It looks like that unless you end up as fund manager, CFA will not drastically improve your position. But this is just my point of view.

I will second your opinion on CAIA as a recognition within the Alternative Investment industry. Having previosly worked for 2.5 years in the HF and PE industry, i did find while looking around the industry that there were quite a few people who have the CAIA designation. If you plan to remain in the industry then CAIA would be good to have. To be honest, in terms of “drasticallty” improving one’s position, i don’t think designations are the key but no harm in doing it. CFA is difficult but difficult stuff that people seldom have can hold its worth. In terms of difficulty, CAIA doesn’t really come into that bracket.

I’ve learned a lot from the readings so from that point of view I’m very happy to have undertaken the experience. I found Level 1 to be more interesting that Level 2 though in truth. I’m trying to not look at these designations as a form of reachout to prospective employers but from the point of view of knowledge I can apply in the industry.