Equity Research - Series 87

What did you guys use to study for this exam? My company is gonna provide me with STC but i heard mixed reviews. I’m starting in ER soon and am looking to pass this exam on the first try. Thanks so much

I’ve never taken Series 87, but I used STC and 3rd party material for Series 7, 63, and 55. If the other exams are any indication, STC should be sufficient for Series 87. It might not be written in the most entertaining way, it should have the material that you need to pass. Maybe you can start with STC and try to find different material if you find that you’re falling behind in the practice questions.

Are you Buyside or Sellside?

It doesn’t matter. FINRA doesn’t distinguish between the 2.

All research analysts need 86 and 87.

87 was super annoying. STC notes totally sucked. I’m sad to say I failed it the first time.

^ The Oracle of Midtown is human after all? You know what you gotta do now…

#RustyHacksaw

Similar to itera, I actually failed Series 87 the first time as well. I used STC. Amazingly I passed it using STC again the second time, but think I probably got lucky. There must be better study guides out there.

This is for sell-side.

@itera…That’s exactly what i mean. If you fail, you need to wait 30 days to take it again. I used STC for the 7 and 63. If it is anything like the 63, then I should be in good shape being that I absolutely crushed that exam.

Thanks for your inputs.

I absolutely crushed the other exams. the 7 I finished in literally half the time in both session and still crushed it.

From what I recollect, the 87 totally pissed me off because nearly 1/3 of the STC notes were nothing like the actual exam, which had a lot of vague / strange scenarios where you had to almost guess which was the right answer.

I think I got lucky the 2nd time too like numi, and crossed the line with only a little room to spare.

There’s not really much out there for notes unfortunately. Just be extra cautious on it, that’s all I can really offer as advice. focus on scenario’s and what to do in which.

87 is too low on the totem pole of things that matter… certainly not as great as the CFA or a Top 2 MBA!

I used stc. Their materials sucked. I know how to study for exams, just failed the 87 for the second time. I just passed cfa level 1 and 2 in December 2012 and June 2013. I also knocked out the 7 and 63 in July. I know how to take tests, but stc materials don’t work. I averaged 80%+ on the practice tests and failed with 36/50, the pass being 37/50. If anyone has suggestions for resources, that would be great because I can’t afford to fail a third time. There were just questions on the test that weren’t in my study materials or practice exams.

^ I know exactly how you feel. STC materials for the 87 SUCK. It’s almost a guessing game if you get a pass

Your best bet is to ask every associate at your shop who took the exam within the last 6 months what questions they remembered and make a study guide. My buddy was able to get like 30 questions as finra reuse questions.