"I'm a CFA"

Is it appropriate to say “I’m a CFA”? I clearly remember reading that “I’m a CFA Charterholder” is more appropriate.

In social settings, most charterholders seem to not have a problem with referring to themselves and others as “CFAs” from what I’ve seen. However, if you’re getting a question on the exam about this [or dealing with someone who takes the institutes policy very seriously], no, it’s not appropriate to say this. The term “CFA” should be used as an adjective, not a noun. Good: “I’ve been a CFA charterholder for two years now.” Not so good: “I wish I could hurry up and get my CFA.” Very bad: “Now that I’ve passed the first level, I went and got ‘supersadface, LEVEL 2 CFA AND LEVEL TEN DARK WIZARD’ printed on all my business cards!” Hope that helps.

Against ethics. Cannot use the “CFA designation as a noun”

How about on dating websites? What’s the best reference to the CFA programme to pull the chicks?? I often use the line “I’m CFA’ing baby” but it never seems to work!! Advice needed?? :wink:

anupamjain008 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Is it appropriate to say “I’m a CFA”? I clearly > remember reading that “I’m a CFA Charterholder” is > more appropriate. CFA can not be used as a noun (see Ethics, Level 1,2,3).

You can always use the disqualifier, “I fancy cats.” “Yes, I’m a CFA, I fancy cats very much.”

http://www.gtcr.com/our_team/index.asp?Bio_ID=289&MainList=alphaSet@&View= “Mr. Abdul earned a BS from Indiana University and is a CFA and CPA. Mr. Abdul currently serves as director of Zenta.” Hope this answers your question. Sincerely, $tarving_Banker, CFA III

Well, you’re not supposed to say that, but since people say that “Someone is a CPA,” I’m sure that other people feel it’s perfectly appropriate to write “So-and-so is a CFA too.” Remember that the people who design the website and communications personnel often rewrite your bio when it goes on a website to make it “read better.” Most probably don’t know that saying “I’m a CFA” is a violation of the CFA trademark. Your obligations as a CFA charterholder are to inform communications personnel that the website is in violation of the CFA charter standards, or to make sure that your bio says that you fancy cats in your spare time, which presumably “reads well” to the communications staff.

my firm got a letter from CFAI alerting us that we were incorrect to state “we have 4 CFA’s on staff” on our website, had to change it to “4 CFA Charterholders” so they do look for that sort of thing on company websites i bet the company in the link above will get some sort of notification eventually

^Yea. But I’ve definitely seen quite a few instances where people use “CFA” in their official bios. And no they don’t all work at Joe’s Hedge Fund either. GTCR is one of the larger PE shops in Chitown. I was very surprised to see legit companies with errors like that.

GTCR has some talent! Every female associate/vp is smoking minus 2 chicks.

Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > GTCR has some talent! Every female associate/vp > is smoking minus 2 chicks. Exactly what I was looking at. Hello there.

The curriculum clearly states that one cannot use CFA as a noun, but despite that people at CFA functions always do it. In fact, at the Forecast Dinner put on by the CFA Society of Dallas/Ft. Worth CFAI President John Rogers got on the mic and used it as a noun.

This is all pure hypocrisy, CYA-style, for the purpose of trademark law. Anyone who writes “Joe Blow, CFA” is using the CFA mark as a noun. Note that this usage is prominent on CFAI’s home page. As pointed out above, do know how to answer the questions on the test, however.

If you guys have access to Schweser L2 videos, go to Class 4 Level 1. Mr. Jonathan Bone (Schweser instructor) clearly introduces himself as “I’m a CFA (and blah blah)”! Comments?

anupamjain008 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If you guys have access to Schweser L2 videos, go > to Class 4 Level 1. > > Mr. Jonathan Bone (Schweser instructor) clearly > introduces himself as “I’m a CFA (and blah > blah)”! > > Comments? I don’t think anyone can get past the fact that his name is “Jon Bone” to realize he’s using the designation incorrectly.

It’s poor grammar to use CFA as an adjective. “Analyst” is a noun. It cannot be transformed into an adjective just because the CFAI says so.

scottyfrickenv Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > anupamjain008 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > If you guys have access to Schweser L2 videos, > go > > to Class 4 Level 1. > > > > Mr. Jonathan Bone (Schweser instructor) clearly > > introduces himself as “I’m a CFA (and blah > > blah)”! > > > > Comments? > > > I don’t think anyone can get past the fact that > his name is “Jon Bone” to realize he’s using the > designation incorrectly. +1

I think using CFA as adj. is more appropriate. CFA is a characteristics of portfolio managers, or others in the industry. Would you say “I am an MBA”?