Roll yield

Smith is the portfolio manager of U.S.-based PM Hedge Fund (PM), which focuses on precious metals, fixed income, and derivatives. Smith has a strategy of rolling forward a long position in short-dated platinum futures traded on NYMEX. Smith’s expectations are as follows:

• Electricity supply disruptions in South Africa, the world’s dominant platinum producer, will cause platinum supply to fall and spot prices to rise.

• Interest rates will rise.

• The convenience yield on platinum will increase.

Smith observes that his expectations are not yet reflected in platinum futures prices.

What happens to the roll yield if the Smith’s market expectations are correct?

My answer was “Roll Yield = Change in Futures Price – Change in Spot. The Spot prices will increase as per Smith’s expectations due decrease in supply. However the Roll yield may increase or decrease or not change, depending on the change of futures’ price. If the future prices fall, the Roll yield increases if the futures price increases more than the Spot prices. If the change in future price offsets the change in spot prices, the Roll yield will not change.

_ CFAI answer is “This is the return that arises from rolling long platinum futures contracts over time. Smith expects convenience yields will rise, increasing roll return as a result of increased backwardation. Also, he expects interest rates will rise, thus decreasing roll return. In the cost-of-carry model, these two factors have opposite effects. If these effects are assumed to offset each other, then there will be net change in the roll return. Conversely, if the rise in convenience yield is more than the rise in interest rates, roll return will increase. _

MY QUESTION:

1. I don’t understand CFAI solution above. Could some smart guy explain it in simple terms
  2. Is my answer wrong??? If so, how would you have answered using the formula for Roll Yields.

[by the way this is 2009 AM EXAM QUESTION]

What, exactly, is your question?

Thanks. I have just edited the question….the original question was missing this part.

Remember:

F = So(1+r)

and

An increase in the convinence yeild implies more backwardation via a higher demand in the spot market

Therefore:

Higher Future’s price from higher interest rates

Higher spot price from higher convience yield

No change in roll-yield

not necessarily. It could move up, down or be the same.

it is based on which movement is bigger.

Is F1 -F0 bigger

or is S1 - S0 bigger

Since Roll Yield = Delta F - Delta S

CPK’s right but it’s definitely worthwhile explaining the drivers of the changes rather than just writing the forumla out and saying it depends on which variable moves more.

Thanks Lads. In essence CFAI are explaining equation : Future price = spot price*e^(r+U-Y)T ie higher inventories are, the lower the convenience yield will be, and thus the HIGHER futures prices will be relative to spot price; and vice versa. Ofcourse in the question above we were not told of the storage costs but that the Convenience yield will increase and the risk free rate will increase, which means the roll yield may increase, or decrease or not change depending on how much the convenience yield rises relative to the rise in interest rates.

Ouch! Convenience Yield and Storage don’t see eye to eye devil

d****t! i just covered this topic not too long ago and already have a hard time recalling enough to answer that question