The Hierarchy of “The Rich” in the United States

https://www.joshuakennon.com/the-hierarchy-of-the-rich-in-the-united-states/

"But what about “the rich”. Where do the dividing lines for the rich fall? I’ve been researching the economic classifications for some time and it seems that many economists, whether they realize it or not, seem to classify the rich according to an interesting hierarchy:

1. The Millionaires Next Door
  2. The Capitalist Class
  3. The Glittering Rich
  4. The Ruling 15,000 Families of the United States
  5. The Forbes 400 List"

Interesting reading.

Cool stuff. Similar data can be found in Knight Frank’s Wealth Report.

wow. most my rich friends are capitalist class. i have 4 glittering rich friend. and no contacts with anything above. sad

great article btw! i think in 5 years i’ll hit millionaire, then i think i’ll easily surpass capitalist class within my lifetime. will probably die in the glittering rich. the rich fam is proly a long shot for me.

1 is cool. Kill 2-5.

Why is a 5 year millionaire taking 401k loans?

I don’t think you can add all generations of wealth in the family to make one unit. That’s like saying that one of your friends, whose parents are worth $10 million, has a baby and then that baby is now a millionaire. I’m also interested in what your plans are to make $20 million in today’s money.

aything less than 4% interest rate after tax deduct i borrow. will very likely do this for life! anyways i keep a spreadsheet that contains my net worth every year and future goals on a yearly basis all the way up to year 100. i use waht i feel to be conservative numbers. i actually had to update it, cuz i never used 20m as my inflation growing goal. my number was 7m! essentially the 1% net worth. used a 2% inflation for that. Anyways around 60 i’ll hit the 20m in today’s money. the numbers are actually simple: i contribute about 28k/year (401k, hsa, roth) I assume a 15% increase as the return on my net worth and i’ll hit 42m at 60 in essence.

which is conservative cuz i made 25%/year since 2011. howd i do it? i did it using tax deferral 401k, ira, hsa since 2011 around 30% from tax savings on the first year then the appreciation from it per year or 10%/year(this is fully maxed) , leverage/real estate in 2012 25%/year, requries low rates and low prices which is rare nowadays im thinking of stepping onto commercial real estate when the next recession hits rates and prices. or side business in 2016 around 20%/year theres work and its annoying and idea isnt exactly scalable and is dependent on your partners or workers. (funny thing is,i thought this biz was like a 40% cagr, but there are so many unforeseen costs, shit breaking, people quitting, and there is delay in the pay, your costs are front loaded on a job, and you dont get paid until a month after,theres also seasonality, when it rains it really pours, and when there is nothing, you best better have enough cash to survive the lean winter months nad fixed costs.)

my current obssession right now is that i am currently trying to learn how to do 15%+ returns on markets, like this is shit that i can do with excess wealth without any work that is scalable as fuck. i created a list of cos taht i consider great. i started doig htis wen i got my charter 17 mos ago essentially when i had free time. most are overvalued so i really need a downturn to make them cheap also to see how these fuckers perform. its a work in progress. i follow about 50 cos. why 50? here are some stats from past 10 yrs: around 620 10b+ market cap companies 10 yrs ago. about 275 did 10% or more per year. about 125 did 15% per year. 50 did 20% per year, the spy did around 9%/year for comparison. I am targeting 20% and above! anyways i think the majority of my gains will fall here as it prolly requires the least amount of work and is scalable

teh idea is to make sure these companies are best in breed and once i buy it, i never have to put too much effort into it or worry. like for example suppose you buy this shithole company trading at a cheap price . it goes up to your target price, this shit dont grow, so your like, time to sell! you feel good except now you got a problem cuz you got mo money and mo problems. and now you have to work again to find another shithole company and waste time learning about something in secular decline that wont be relevant. now if you have a great co you’ll be like aw shit, great co is going down, wtf is up. you check it, seems financials are going up higher. so you’ll be like WHA CHEAP BUY MORE! now say great co goes up, you’re like aw shit, dont have to do anything because everything is getting better, the dcf just got higher so now i’ll let it run. now whats bad about great co is that they are ver likely overvalued, and you run the risk that they are slowing down. so the key is have a value appraoch and make sure you keep tabs on them.

How come there is no mention of the “CEO 10k a day” status?

Wait, so when you put money in your 401k, you automatically count that as a 30% gain because it’s not taxed?

lol yea, its a bit cheating, but that is how tax savings work!

10k/day ceo is essentially the glittering rich right? ceo makes 2.5m, the glittering make that much passively in a year.

Huh? Tax deductions are investment gains?

this list will be getting longer soon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel_Memorial_Prize_laureates_in_Economics

Selena Gomez right?

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUM59Eh6vTw]

I’d lean towards Notorious BIG, for his contribution to the theory that “Mo’ Money” results in “Mo’ Problems”.

Daft Punk should surely win for their detailed sleep analysis, although relevant to economics, this has much deeper implications for society as a whole. Implications that the best minds are still struggling to understand:

its literally a net cash flow hitting ur account. youd have the account with 100 pre tax dollars and receive 30 bucks after tax. thats a win in my book! this is why ppl should max this out irrespective of matching.

Sure, but it is not repeatable, thus you cannot factor it into expected return. It seems your thinking on this is twisted.

you’re completely right, and i dont factor the 30% on expected returns long term. in effect you realize the 30% as soon as you pay taxes, then that shit gets dragged down by whatever asset you invest in, which in my case was the spy index.spy did about 15% so my initial contribution 6 years ago still did ~20% CAGR.

Yea but you get taxed when you withdraw it soooo

There’s also the issue of not having existed as an investment professional through a prolonged sideways market (2001-2007), or a serious prolonged market downturn to just continuously assume that the market returns of the last decade will just go on forever.