Does he has a shot for top 20 MBA or MFE??

You have gotten good advice here. I would second the idea to look into an executive or evening programs. The admissions will be based more on work experience than grades / GMAT. Plus, for someone 10 years out the full time on campus interviewing may not be as valuable and he may connect more with classmates in an executive program. I see the transition to Econ as a good thing. Econ is required as part of most MBA programs. It shows a genuine interest in business and finance. I have an MBA (and an econ undergraduate) myself, so I may be biased. At many top undergrade schools (Ivies) Econ is the only business related topic you can major it. To me why study math/ CS/engineering, as an undergrad if you really want to work in business? The people in business making the hiring decsions are usually 50% Econ majors, so you don’t win any points with an attitude that Econ is less challenging than more quant topics. But MBA admission is always a roll of the dice, he should apply to as many schools as possible.

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If he’s White, probably a 50-50 chance with this > garbage GPA. > > If he’s Black or Hispanic, then probably 80-90% > probability. > > If he’s Indian or Chinese, no way. Sad, asians are the most discriminated group in this country. Talk about punishing the brightest and the hardest working group in the country.

marcus phoenix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mo34 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > If he’s White, probably a 50-50 chance with > this > > garbage GPA. > > > > If he’s Black or Hispanic, then probably 80-90% > > probability. > > > > If he’s Indian or Chinese, no way. > > > Sad, asians are the most discriminated group in > this country. Talk about punishing the brightest > and the hardest working group in the country. They need to learn to play by the rules of this country. Lobbies, pressure groups, work together to raise money to support their interests, find politicians aligned with their cause and finance them, … But from my experience working with these guys I believe they are taught that life is all about individual achievements and working in teams is a waste of time.

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It’s hard to say that the current approach is *not* working for Asian people though. Despite the negative affirmative action, they’re still the richest ethnic group in the US (even richer than white people). Maybe the optimal strategy for prosperity is to ignore all politics and focus solely on individual achievement.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mo34 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > It’s hard to say that the current approach is > *not* working for Asian people though. Despite the > negative affirmative action, they’re still the > richest ethnic group in the US (even richer than > white people). Maybe the optimal strategy for > prosperity is to ignore all politics and focus > solely on individual achievement. Its working *despite* the current system including the negative connotations and stereotypes by the media. Says a lot about their character. I agree, they need to become more politically involved to get their voices accross.

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > But from my experience working with these guys I > believe they are taught that life is all about > individual achievements and working in teams is a > waste of time. You are just stereotyping it, in fact every other lesson that’s taught here (in India) is about collective effort. The national anthem is all about power of collective effort. Since childhood, you experience the power of collective efforts in nearly everything. In fact, the thing which is taught most is the power of collective efforts and what you can achieve in teams. You don’t know anything about what’s taught here and what’s not, how could you be so ignorant, ill informed but confident on arbitrary beliefs at same time.

Bernanke Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mo34 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > But from my experience working with these guys > I > > believe they are taught that life is all about > > individual achievements and working in teams is > a > > waste of time. > > You are just stereotyping it, in fact every other > lesson that’s taught here (in India) is about > collective effort. The national anthem is all > about power of collective effort. Since childhood, > you experience the power of collective efforts in > nearly everything. In fact, the thing which is > taught most is the power of collective efforts and > what you can achieve in teams. You don’t know > anything about what’s taught here and what’s not, > how could you be so ignorant, ill informed but > confident on arbitrary beliefs at same time. I was talking about the Chinese in particular. We all know that Indians are far superior to everybody else off-course.

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Bernanke Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > mo34 Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > But from my experience working with these > guys > > I > > > believe they are taught that life is all > about > > > individual achievements and working in teams > is > > a > > > waste of time. > > > > You are just stereotyping it, in fact every > other > > lesson that’s taught here (in India) is about > > collective effort. The national anthem is all > > about power of collective effort. Since > childhood, > > you experience the power of collective efforts > in > > nearly everything. In fact, the thing which is > > taught most is the power of collective efforts > and > > what you can achieve in teams. You don’t know > > anything about what’s taught here and what’s > not, > > how could you be so ignorant, ill informed but > > confident on arbitrary beliefs at same time. > > I was talking about the Chinese in particular. We > all know that Indians are far superior to > everybody else off-course. oooookayyyyy.

marcus phoenix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mo34 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > If he’s White, probably a 50-50 chance with > this > > garbage GPA. > > > > If he’s Black or Hispanic, then probably 80-90% > > probability. > > > > If he’s Indian or Chinese, no way. > > > Sad, asians are the most discriminated group in > this country. Talk about punishing the brightest > and the hardest working group in the country. I would love to see any published proof of this

hh Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > marcus phoenix Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > mo34 Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > If he’s White, probably a 50-50 chance with > > this > > > garbage GPA. > > > > > > If he’s Black or Hispanic, then probably > 80-90% > > > probability. > > > > > > If he’s Indian or Chinese, no way. > > > > > > Sad, asians are the most discriminated group in > > this country. Talk about punishing the > brightest > > and the hardest working group in the country. > > > I would love to see any published proof of this there is a legal precedent, asians are not discriminated against: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/11/judge-dismisses-lawsuit-claiming-miley-cyrus-pic-discriminated-against-asians.html

The old man needs to stop dreaming and start spending some time with his kids.

hh Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m assuming he’s talking specifically about affirmative action, which is both widely documented and openly admitted to by educational institutions and companies. There have been lawsuits resulting in affirmative action being banned in public universities in some states. Of course being “discriminated against” is a pretty broad term. Being more likely to be pulled over because you are black is also a form of discrimination.