Excel: XIRR() and Date()

Bacaladitos Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have worked a lot with it. > The truth is that the XIRR in Excel has errors. > Especially if you have multiple values on the same > date you may get into problems and weird results. > I build my own XIRR in vba and added a homebuild > solver to do the iteration and get the correct > internal rate. It works perfectly and works just > like a normal excel-function. Oh wow, would you be willing to email me your code? I’d really appreciate it. hawky1986 at yahoo.com

Question: Sorry to keep bumping this, but I’m still working on the project. I have monthly cash flows for the past 57 years. Some months are positive some are negative some are zero. I’m trying to find an overall return figure that give me the best indication of performance. I have two conflicting methods: 1) Using XIRR and finding a total return for each year and then finding a time weighted return from all the annual return figures 2) Using an Holding Period Return calculation on each year and then finding a time weighted return from all the annual return figures. Option 2 indicates that I’m out performing the alternative strategy, while option 1 indicates that I’m not. In y’alls opinion what is the best way to measure the annual returns to give me the most meaningful output?? One of these? or something else? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!