Hedge Fund Interview

Don’t do it. Unless you are seriously strapped for money.

i imagine HR makes less than even actual BO/accounting? i can see BO or acct getting a bonus but does HR get a bonus at hedge funds?

SkipE99 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > if they call themselves a “hedge fund” be weary. > hedge fund just means someone betting on an > investment strategy. nothing more. yes, you definitely should come across as exhausted. that will help your cause. +1, would skip again.

Hey lxwarr, i wouldn’t do it either. I also prefer working for a no-name hellhole (which I’m kinda doing right now) and do interesting work that will count towards my CFA rather than go for a good name in HR. Then again, if the pay is good and there’s opportunity for development and you don’t want to pursue the CFA later on, you can make a comfortable living, why not. When I was desperatelylooking for jobs, I was offered a junior admin assistant at a hedge fund (duties included organizing the personal schedule of PMs, they even said there was growth opportunity…into what? full time nanny??) and I didn’t take it. Happy I didn’t. I’d have been miserable. Also I don’t agree to a certain extent with the guys who say depends what you do. It depends how bad you need the money of course but I was working in retail (part-time) before I got this offer and I still didn’t take it. I’d rather say I was educating myself and progressing towards my cfa than be stuck in a position that will lead nowhere. Why don’t you try to freelance maybe as a financial analyst? Write some op-ed pieces on a blog for example and market that for a better job? And you can take a part-time job that maybe will cover your bills? Good luck

Agree with zinamarina. Yes you could get a shot at something else. In our company you have people who move from one team to another. Lets say finance, operations, product management, client services and maybe a shot as an analyst. And then who knows. Big maybe. But you will be tainted internally and externally. If you want to get on the investment side it will be tough and your peers will mark you down - behind your back most often. And you will have to explain your progression later in life (to recruiters/to future employers/ to clients). And life is very much path dependent. So bottom line, go for the experience to see inside a hedge fund and get some experience but dont take the job unless you want to go management route e.g. COO and so on. You can definitely move up the ladder and it can pay lucratively. So, in short, depends on your character and your goals.

Hi guys, I really appreciate all the responses it really helps me work through this. It seems like it comes down to what my accounting professor always stressed: substance over form. I really do want to get involved in the investment process. Currently I work at a F500 in the travel/tourism industry as a pretty junior analyst but keep interviewing for better positions within the building. I feel like I have a good opportunity here to grow beyond my current role and I think that career progression is most important at this time. Since you guys believe this is not the correct position I will go in there with that thought and witness the operation, but remember this is not for me. Perhaps I will impress her enough to be perhaps considered for an operations role later. I think you’re right where does Payroll lead to? It’s just frustrating because this is the best company that’s ever wanted to interview me. I think your suggestion to freelance report is a good idea. I’m just unsure where to start, but sometimes you learn best by jumping into it. Note: As asked I am almost two years out of school, May 2010 graduate.

Hey lxwarr i’d definitely go to the interview process. My ex-bf interviewed for a job he wasn’t interested in at all and he told them so and they offered him something else more interesting. So you never know. I haven’t done any freelancing to be honest…i’m better at procrastinating. But I would start doing (hopefully soon) is for example with blogs or even leaving comments on a blog is a good way to start. For example, seeking alpha has this to get you started: http://seekingalpha.com/listing/instablog_stats

Actually you should take this job and post on AF what people actually make in a major HF.

TS, we’re talking about a job in HR, right? I couldn’t think of something more unrelated to investing. It would be a step in your career that will always raise eyebrows. Don’t even think about it.