Probably nothing to worry about?

JRH, I agree that they’re doing whatever they can to make things work for Niblita, and they’re also doing what they can to work things work for the incumbent guy…which I think means a lot. Just look at it from his perspective - maybe he’s looking for a buy-side job, maybe he needs to spend time with family…who knows? But the firm is giving that guy the benefit of the doubt too, so they probably figure this is the most amicable solution for everyone. BTW, cfa2grunt also brings up a lot of good points and you can never be too trusty – that’s why I believe that people in this business should always be looking for other jobs no matter the circumstance. Always keep your eyes open and don’t be too trusting. I don’t think cfa2grunt was on anyone’s case – she’s just saying that you have to watch out for yourself, and I agree with that.

go with your heart Niblita75. You"ll be fine. If you fall, you"ll only be stronger. I heard this cheeze line from some movie, but interestingly it makes a lot of sense - “Things that get you through life are to be thought from the heart and not from the mind.” Besides the “Oracle of Omaha” said the other day, dont worry abou the recession.

I wasn’t trying to get on his case at all. It just seemed like he was quick to believe whatever the VP said. And I’m coming from a background where I was far too trusting of my first employer and it negatively impacted my career progress. I was accepted into a rotational program at what was reputed to be a great company. What they didn’t bother to tell me was that they had decided the program sucked and I would be the last person they hired into this program. Not only that, after I landed my first rotation, they decided that the only other area I could rotate into after my allotted time in rotation 1 was a position that is normally staffed by people without college degrees. Thank goodness my first rotation boss was awesome, but I didn’t get the substantive experience I was looking for, and found it very difficult to find another job based on my first rotation’s experience. I was in that position for 2.5 years.

Cfa2: I appreciate looking out for me. I just don’t see a point to demanding anything when nothing has really happened yet. My view is with numi in that they are trying to make us both happy. Typing on an iPhone sucks so I’ll write a better response later. Thanks everyone for the advice and looking out for my well being.

CFA2grunt, I see where you’re coming from a bit better now. Sorry for the call out, it just sounded like to me that Niblita is in a better situation with this job opportunity than some were giving him credit for.

JRH, I understand. He may very well be just fine. I just thought it would behoove him to confirm what Numi suggests may be the case with the VP. To be on the safe side. I may have overreacted a little, but I think one can never be too careful in recruiting. And I’m not suggesting that you “demand” anything, Niblita, but rather confirm your best hopes with the VP instead of assuming that everything is fine. It kind of sounds like you’re afraid to rock the boat by asking too many questions.

Let’s take a step back here…how does someone quit, the new and better position falls through, then he/she just says, well I’ll stay on? What kind of company says, “great, we’d love to have you, we’ll tell the dude we hired, he can be a secretary for the time-being…take your time to find something better.” I’d tell the firm to eff off.

Turkish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Let’s take a step back here…how does someone > quit, the new and better position falls through, > then he/she just says, well I’ll stay on? > > What kind of company says, “great, we’d love to > have you, we’ll tell the dude we hired, he can be > a secretary for the time-being…take your time to > find something better.” > > I’d tell the firm to eff off. actually, i hadn’t read that the incumbent employee actually tried to interview for a job and didn’t get it, which was a reason he’s staying on. that’s quite sad. turkish brings up a good point now that i see it

That’s what made me so uncomfortable in the first place. The whole thing just sounded fishy.

Well, if the firm you’re going to is a fairly big sell-side shop, there are always junior people leaving for the buyside or b-school, so I think you’ll be fine, but I’d want to confirm that you’re the first on deck to fill a role vacated by another junior guy, b/c waiting for this other guy to leave is huge mistake since its not exactly a great job market on the buyside, and if he just had a kid he’ll definitely stick around until he finds something just right. I’m surprised the Senior Analyst is ok with this situation, since when this other guy finally leaves then they’ll have to bring someone in totally green. Grunt’s logic is correct that if the firm was fair, it would allow the other guy to stick around, let him train you in the new role, then let HIM do random projects until he leaves, since what’s the upside for them continuing to let him stay in his current role?

'That’s what made me so uncomfortable in the first place. The whole thing just sounded fishy." then why didn’t you say that grunt? don’t try to take early credit for my intense analytical work on Nib’s original post. It took me all afternoon.

I am going to be proactive and start looking for other jobs. I can only take her word for what it is. I believe her, but I am going to pursue other opportunities for the time being. As far as I know, I am the only associate paired with an analyst. Whether that is good or bad I have no idea. Like I said before, I am a recent graduate and what I am told is all I know. Ironically I got my “new hire packet” in the mail today.