CFA vs CIPM

Dear All,

Please help me with my questions/problems.

To give you an overview off my situation:

I’m a guy, 23 years old. I have a bachelor degree in energy technologics (renewable energy sources). Now I want to join the CFA level 1, because I’m very interested in a job in the financial world more specific in the stock market.

I don’t have any financial degree.

Now my question, if I proceed the 3 levels of CFA, it’s possible for me to apply for a job in the financial world?

I also read something about the CIPM program.

Could anybody tell me the difference between CFA and CIPM also in the value of the certificate please?

Many thanks in advance, Lole58

Why the change in interest? Or did you pursue your degree so that you could specialize as an equity analyst in that industry?

Real Work Experience >>>>>>> CFA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CIPM

#YoureWelcome

Dear,

I don’t have any work experience, so the CFA is not useful to get a feet into the financial world?

Or please could you explain it a little more?

Many thanks,

I’m interested in the stock markets for years now.

I really want to make the change, my industrial knowledge is a positive point (from my point of view.).

Do you think follow the CFA is a good starter to get a feet into the financial world please?

Many thanks,

I’m interested in the stock markets for years now.

I really want to make the change, my industrial knowledge is a positive point (from my point of view.).

Do you think follow the CFA is a good starter to get a feet into the financial world please?

Many thanks,

Dear,

I don’t have any work experience, so the CFA is not useful to get a feet into the financial world?

Or please could you explain it a little more?

Many thanks,

It’s not useless but, it only has like 2% weighting in your application.

Your primary goal should be to get a job in finance – even if it’s back office. Just try to get your feet wet. If you can then enroll in the CFA program while you’re employed, then you should be able to open up new avenues to explore. Don’t be fooled that passing all 3 CFA Levels automatically grants you a pass into the financial world. (Many AFers around here show “CFA Level III Passed” in their profile, but not CFA Charterholder for one reason or another.)

For the record, I’ve earned both the CFA Charter and CIPM. Although I received the CIPM first (back in 2008), the CFA is worth much much much much much more in the business world. CFA will also provide more opportunities, while you may get pigeon-holed with CIPM.

#TrustYouMe

So starting the CFA program to get a job into the financial world is not an option?

Many thanks for answering.

At the moment I’m working as a sales engineer.

For me, I want to earn the CFA levels, after this I would like to change (my career) to the financial world.

But If I understood you correctly, the CFA program isn’t the right way to start a career in the financial world?

Many thanks for your answers.

sweet?

I’ll give you a scenario: 13 years ago, my girlfriend at the time (now my wife) was already in her first year of Law School – and I was thinking about switching gears and getting into the same field. But rather than apply for Law School first, I decided to get my feet wet and start working as an attorney’s assistant/paralegal for a year to *REALLY* see if this is something that I wanted to do for a career.

So glad I did, because after 8 months of working under an attorney, I already realized this wasn’t going to be my cup of tea. Unfortunately too many people apply to Law School, pass the state bar (some don’t), and then start working as they’re trying to pay off their six-figure school debt…only to realize that this isn’t what they bargained for in the first place. But they’re stuck. And from what I’ve heard, this is a lot more common in the legal field that you may think. Although I’m not comparing apples-to-apples, I think you get my point. If at all possible, get your feet wet first to see if that’s the direction you’d like to travel.

If you’re *100% serious* about getting into the finance world, then you should try to get your foot in the door in any entry-level position will provide room for growth. From there take the CFA exams while you’re working and let your employer see you grow and develop into a mid-level manager. But if you’re only *THINKING* about business, then you should sit for the Level I exam and then re-evaluate whether or not this is something you’d like to dedicate yourself to in the future. (Because Levels II and III are notably harder, as well.) Obviously experience with a Charter is worth more than just experience by itself…but both of those are worth *WAY MORE* than just passing all 3 CFA Levels without any experience.

#GoodLuck

+2

Nothing is ever off the table. That’s just not the best route. I know a lot of people who have already passed all 3 levels and still looking to break into financial industry. Some have been looking for more than 5 years.

valuable experience > passing all 3 levels of the CFA exams with no experience.