For all those living with H1B -- Green Card is a b!tch

Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I agree that immigration makes the US better. In > fact, I was not born in America. However, this > does not mean that the US is not doing us a favor > by letting us live here. I am thankful for this > every day. > > Furthermore, if the immigration process was easy, > it would eliminate the purpose that you mentioned > - to only get the most qualified people from other > countries. Are you suggesting that you, who seem to have completed the process, are the most qualified from your country? More qualified than the rest population either in your country of birth or America? Mind you, when you were on H1B, you might just be cheaper than an American worker. And if you first came to this country before “911”, you were just plain luckier. To your previous post that I should take into account the offspring of first-generation immigrants – we are talking about people who were born outside the country here. Of course, even if they settled down illegally, once giving birth to a baby, they can be legalized. And their children can enjoy the benefits as US citizens. So what is a big deal of going to Harvard? How does that prove that their parents are the most qualified from China? To be harsh, their children’s success is based on breaking the immigration law at the first place. Don’t tell me this is “pursuit of happiness”. Growing up in such a corrupted family, with the idea of taking advantage of rules to one’s own benefit… even if they get a PhD from Harvard, so what? Your standard of “qualified” seems very low.

“Mind you, when you were on H1B, you might just be cheaper than an American worker” Rubbish. There is a law that company has to pay labor wages which is equivalent to a local candidate and if you see what IT consultants are making, which is way equal/more to other who are working as a fulltime.

I hear other countries allow people to live and work there without asking them to sell an option on any future earnings they may make when no longer living in said country. Unless I am really misinformed, I’d never take a Green Card. I’d rather move somewhere else. Really, are you prepared to pay taxes to the US when you moved on to work in Denmark? So, I must assume the US government wants people to think really hard if they are ready for such a commitment. Thats why the process is tedious and takes some time.

gth763s Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I agree that immigration makes the US better. > In > > fact, I was not born in America. However, this > > does not mean that the US is not doing us a > favor > > by letting us live here. I am thankful for this > > every day. > > > > Furthermore, if the immigration process was > easy, > > it would eliminate the purpose that you > mentioned > > - to only get the most qualified people from > other > > countries. > > Are you suggesting that you, who seem to have > completed the process, are the most qualified from > your country? More qualified than the rest > population either in your country of birth or > America? Mind you, when you were on H1B, you > might just be cheaper than an American worker. > And if you first came to this country before > “911”, you were just plain luckier. > > To your previous post that I should take into > account the offspring of first-generation > immigrants – we are talking about people who were > born outside the country here. Of course, even if > they settled down illegally, once giving birth to > a baby, they can be legalized. And their children > can enjoy the benefits as US citizens. So what is > a big deal of going to Harvard? How does that > prove that their parents are the most qualified > from China? To be harsh, their children’s success > is based on breaking the immigration law at the > first place. Don’t tell me this is “pursuit of > happiness”. Growing up in such a corrupted > family, with the idea of taking advantage of rules > to one’s own benefit… even if they get a PhD > from Harvard, so what? Your standard of > “qualified” seems very low. wha wha what? you are dearly uninformed in this subject. I’m not sure what you are actually saying but note- 1.) a child born in the US becomes a citizen- this is not breaking the rules, this is a right. 2.) the parents of said child earn no special privilege in the immigration process. In fact- not until the child is 21 can he or she petition residency for parents- and this relative petition has low priority. This created contentious issues when kids who are citizens and have been in the us for 5+ years are suddenly faced with their parents being deported. corrupted family? when did following the HI >> Residency >> Naturalization become corrupt? Egal “I hear other countries allow people to live and work there without asking them to sell an option on any future earnings they may make when no longer living in said country.” the US had various reciprocal tax treaties with most developed nations so it really makes no difference. And the US also allows one to temporarily work and live here without such requirements. Residency is another animal and is meant for those hoping for PERMANENT residency and possibly naturalization. I don’t see anything wrong with a country requiring some level of dedication from those who are ostensibly attempting to join its nation. I would take more issue with the requirement of joining the selective service (draft)- but there are ways to avoid this. In my personal experience there are fewer difficult requirements in the us than in many other countries. Many require renunciation of other citizenship (we do in spirit but not really since you don’t have to prove it and its not enforced). Many never offer full rights (ie in mexico you never get to vote as a naturalized citizen; in colombia as a spouse you have to always gain their equivalent of our labor certification as a naturalized spouse. )

Egal - BO is not telling you to live here. Just go back to your country or to Denmark. People would rather live in US and wait 10 years for their Green Card than to go to Denmark and settle.