Help!! Should I start CFA at the age of 33?

I can’t believe people are saying 33 is too old…pursuing cfa at this age is perfectly normal and fine…I know lot of people who have started cfa in 30s including my company ceo…cfa teaches you about finance and add credentials to your name…I don’t understand how can pursuing a highly respected qualification late…people who say its too late don’t know what they are talking about… I have been working in asset management industry for past 7 years and recently started pursuing cfa cos my initial plan for masters in finance from lbs did not materialise cos of personal reasons…go ahead and pursue cfa I can assure you …you are on the right track …this is coming from a man who has worked in equity research, product development and now moving to fund management

Goodluck

Since when is 33yo considered to be old? This isn’t professional sports we’re talking about here.

you have missed the point. The point people are saying about it “being too old” is that he’s trying to break into something new, and using the CFA at this age to break in.

If he’s already been working in ER or asset management etc… and he wants to pursue the CFA at 33, of course no one will call that old.

Paul Newman drove LeMans well into his 70s.

He said that he was happy he finally found something at which he was good.

Guys!!

My problem is 5 yrs of gap , I mean I quit my job on Aug 2008 as a investment Advisor in Asia, now I live in USA, I am 33 and I really want a new start in ER.

what should be my strategy ???

Your only chance is to find a gay guy that could hire you and offer your services.

Why is everyone so focused on ER as if it was the only challenging/rewarding area of finance?

OP, if you’re dead set in working in ER, you might want to start as an assistant portfolio manager at a wealth management firm. If you live in an area in the US with a high Asian population (Cali) that speaks your native tongue, your language skills might give you an edge to get your foot in the door. Get the charter while you’re working and look for opportunities as they pop up.

To Spunboy you listen.

You shouldn’t get the charter in hopes of getting a job. You should get a job, then concurrently pursue the charter.

I started the process at 29. At 34 I have it. You can have it by 35-36 if you play your cards right.

Greenman is right though, get a job and do it concurrently. I didn’t go forward with my CFA until I knew I was getting a job in finance.

I thought I was saying the same thing.

If your problem is a 5 year gap of no finance work experience (or worse, no work at all), then you need a really good explanation for what you did in those 5 years. f you can’t come up with anything your best bet is to go back to school in a master’s or PhD program. The vast majority of US employers don’t give a crap about your degree from an Asian university, unless the school has some international reputation.

I’ll be 41 sitting for L3 in June. Started at 39. 39 > 33.

I was inspired by an 80 year old practitioner who is a CFA.

I dont know how anyone starts anything listening to other people.

I think it’s a tough call to make. I’m 37, so older than you. The reason embarked in this bitter journey is because my department head has asked me to get it in order to move up to the next level (either CFA or FRM designation). So there is some benefit to me to get either designation, but still, it’s tough to gauge whether or not to go for it without something clear in sight.

I also dont agree that most employers will prefer someone younger always. That is true for the most part, but it’s more dependent on the area of concentration. I think a 30 to 40 something with good experience and education + charter will not hurt you. At least, that’s how I’d like to see it.

Fixed that for you. We don’t want to see any Ethics violations here.

You’re probably too old for equity research in the US. They want young people who don’t have families and can sacrifice evenings and weekends to plug away at things. If you’re goal is career development in general then sure it obviously won’t be a negative to have the CFA. But to be frank I think you’re goal of equity research is unrealistic and probably won’t happen.

Also no offense, but from reading your initial post English is definitely an issue.

33 is REALLY young in today’s standard, but i’d say everyone has a age cut-off for CFA in their minds, it may not be 33, it could be 43, 53, or 63.

To me, i probably wouldn’t start the CFA program if i don’t have the work experience for it at age 40, but if i already have experience and been working for a long time but just suddenly need to “make it official” then i would probably still do it well into my 50s.

Magician…Thank you, I’m still developing an eye for details!

Good 1

Good 1

You already have experience as an investment advisor…ull have to explain reason for the gap…besides this I feel it won’t be as difficult for unto break in as suggested by folks on this forum…you are a not fresh college grade u already have some work experience in ur bag