Help!! Should I start CFA at the age of 33?

I just cleared level 3 at age 41. Age is irrelevant. Good luck.

I think people are approaching this question wrong. Its not about whether OP could pass the CFA. Age has pretty much no bearing on that. Its if OP’s goals for why they are taking CFA are realistic.

thats the stupidist thing i ever heard. Its never too late to do anything.

How about playing in the Jeopardy! Teen Tournament?

Age should not be a barrier for pursuing CFA. If you have real passion towards it, nothing wrong in trying it. However, as pointed out by different memebers here, that breaking in to Equity research may be tricky thing just by having CFA certification ( i mean passing all 3 levels). Having siad that, no one knows what the future holds?..If you are comfortable enough to spend some money, considerable amount of time then why not…should rather try…what is there to loose anyway?

there is a lot of loose stuff out there…

Yes and no, i mean if you’re 82 perhaps you should spend your time doing somethign else, unless you enjoy studying finance THAT MUCH.

but all in all, 33 is too young to say too old to do anything.

I am 33 years old now. I was 32 when I started studying for the L1 (Dec-12), passed L2 this June and God willing, I sit for L3 next year, when I am 34.

I do not expect offers to come pouring in. Nor do I intend to ride the CFA charter (if/when I have it) hard when marketing myself. Instead, I will focus on a portfolio of experience that I have built as an independent investment analyst.

It sounds like your “pain point” is the 5 years of disconnect in your professional life. The CFA is not likely to help you there. You should have something to show for those years in terms of accomplishments while holding other jobs, or stuff you did if you did not have a job. Needless to say, the way you present the 5 years to hiring managers will be as instrumental to the value proposition you offer for them. The CFA is likely not going to sway their decision if they weren’t going to consider you without it.

Go for it.

I do not think it will be that beneficial to your career, only perhaps marginally. If you’re trying to get into ER, typically you’d be expected to be analyst level at your age as most associate positions are filled by recent grads/MBAs or young laterals. BBs and larger AM firms will have even more rigid structure in their recruiting process, so you are already kind of limited to getting a position within a boutique, small brokerage, or AM shop.

It will be an uphill battle and I’m just not sure it’ll really change your career. Granted, I am very young and may have a different perspective, so take my advice with a large grain of salt.

Take a look at this article, it has a list of pros & cons that may be beneficial in helping you make a decision: http://www.investopedia.com/articles/professionaleducation/07/cfa-charter.asp

my personal expierence and view:

I am 36 and I started CFA at 35, just passed Level2 this summer.

I have bachelor degree on computre science. I have a wife and 2 young kids.

I work for an investment company but on the I.T. side, most of the time data collecting, analysis.

My future plan:

I have no intention to get into finance world even though I wouldn’t reject one if a great chance presents itself.

However, what inspired me to get into this series of exam is to chanllenge self. I always like to learn something new and unknown at no financial cost (company pays everything single penny including exam fees and courses)

I am studying for a CFA level 1 and am 31. Already working in the asset management filed. I started college late in life, graduting at 29 years old. I say go for it.

That’s a good attitude, esp if the company pays for it.

I am sure some people around you must ask you “why do you do it if you don’t ever want to go into finance”, but sometiems i feel like you can never say never…

The financial costs aren’t the hard part. The non-financial costs are.

Not being able to be at home with my wife when she was 6-7-8 months pregnant was tougher.

Missing about 1,000 hours of time with my daughter when she was a newborn and a toddler was a lot harder.

Not being able to de-stress and relax on Saturday/Sunday/Memorial Day/Easter was tough, when all you can think about is “man, I really need to be studying”.

Having to look your boss in the eye and say, “Yeah, I know I’ve been studying for this test FOR EIGHT MONTHS, but I really need to take the week after Memorial Day off, so I can study,” makes you look like an idiot (unless your boss went through it too).

Even worse? Having to tell all your family (including your kids, especially if they’re old enough to understand that Daddy’s not here because he’s studying), friends, co-workers, bosses, clients, Sunday School class, AA group, and whoever else will listen that you still failed–even after 500 hours of study. (Now you look like an idiot AND a loser.)

These are the “real” costs of the CFA exam. The $680 exam fee is tiddlywinks.

The financial costs aren’t the hard part. The non-financial costs are.

Not being able to be at home with my wife when she was 6-7-8 months pregnant was tougher.

Missing about 1,000 hours of time with my daughter when she was a newborn and a toddler was a lot harder.

Not being able to de-stress and relax on Saturday/Sunday/Memorial Day/Easter was tough, when all you can think about is “man, I really need to be studying”.

Having to look your boss in the eye and say, “Yeah, I know I’ve been studying for this test FOR EIGHT MONTHS, but I really need to take the week after Memorial Day off, so I can study,” makes you look like an idiot (unless your boss went through it too).

Even worse? Having to tell all your family (including your kids, especially if they’re old enough to understand that Daddy’s not here because he’s studying), friends, co-workers, bosses, clients, Sunday School class, AA group, and whoever else will listen that you still failed–even after 500 hours of study. (Now you look like an idiot AND a loser.)

These are the “real” costs of the CFA exam. The $680 exam fee is tiddlywinks.

That’s why i think most people want to do the CFA program when they are younger, with less responsibilities.

It’s hard to say sometimes whether you would do more and better things if you don’t spend your time studying for CFA. I see many of my freinds do not study and just work a normal job but they don’t necessarily have anything to show for in the last 3 years. it’s not like they progress a lot in their career, or travelled the world, or had 2 babies, or volunteer for red cross…

My point is, if you don’t have the pressure that you must pass and it’s a make or break in your career, perhaps studying for CFA isn’t that painful. And though i see my friends and family less in March to May, but i don’t think in greater scheme of things damage our relationships.

This might be true, but I also think that if it’s not either painful or “make-or-break”, then people tend to not take it seriously.

True too, but it depends on the person, sometimes people do better when they aren’t stressed.

I started reading level 1 books in sept last year, a month before my 36th birthday. Now i am a level 3 candidate and turning 37 next week. So hopefully age is not a big matter. I feel ancient now. re jumping to er, do you really want sell side er or buyside