Highest paying colleges

DirtyZ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Duke+HBS would be an interesting combo for the > east coast…but the douche factor would likely > break me. my friend went to undergrad at duke, worked at my current company and is graduating HBS in 2010

DirtyZ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Here’s a question: Lets say you could pick any > Undergrad school and MBA with the stipulation > being that you could choose a top 5 school for > only one of the buckets, what would your choices > be and why? BC undergrad, UofP MBA.

Philip - I bet your friend will make $$$! That’s quite a pedigree…to top it off I hope they went to Andover, Exeter, or perhaps Choate.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Surprised to see Colgate on the list, and that > comp at Harvey Mudd is so high. As an aside, I > know Harvey Mudd is a good school, though I don’t > actually know anyone who went there. It’s tiny with < 1000 undergraduates, and no graduate school. I’m surprised its not highest on the list.

SMIRK Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > School Name / Starting Median Salary / Mid-Career > Median Salary > > 1. Dartmouth College: $58,200 / $129,000 > 2. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT): > $71,100 / $126,000 > 3. Harvard University: $60,000 / $126,000 > 4. Harvey Mudd College: $71,000 / $125,000 > 5. Stanford University: $67,500 / $124,000 > 6. Princeton University: $65,000 / $124,000 > 7. Colgate University: $51,900 / $122,000 > 8. University of Notre Dame: $55,300 / $121,000 > 9. Yale University: $56,000 / $120,000 > 10. University of Pennsylvania: $60,400 / > $118,000 > > http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-college_g > rads_which_ones_earn_the_most-1103 It’d be interesting to see what this looks like after controlling for industry that graduates end up in.

I think if you took just Wharton from UofPenn, they would be the top undergrad program in the universe as far as starting median salary. These kids get handed banking jobs like lollipops. That said, I don’t think I’d want to go there… For undergrad I think I’d choose Dartmouth (small liberal arts feel but with huge on campus recruitment and connections). Then I’d do Oxford biz school’s quick 1 yr MBA and get it over with (I’m dreading the fact that I may have to waste 2-3 years of my life in biz school, and I’d love to work in Europe/Asia for a little while). Either that or go for Berkeley or UCLA MBA and enjoy the west coast which is very tempting as it’s still 20 degrees where I live right now…

justin88 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > numi Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Surprised to see Colgate on the list, and that > > comp at Harvey Mudd is so high. As an aside, I > > know Harvey Mudd is a good school, though I > don’t > > actually know anyone who went there. > > It’s tiny with < 1000 undergraduates, and no > graduate school. I’m surprised its not highest on > the list. How does school size equate to starting salary? East Tennessee State University is a small school and I bet the starting salary for grads there is a bottle of moonshine and two beaver pelts.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Surprised to see Colgate on the list, and that > comp at Harvey Mudd is so high. I heard Harvey Mudd sent two graduates to work at Fidelity which skewed the average way up.

Harvey Mudd probably fields a lot of wall street quants. A number have also probably launched successful new computing technologies. Mudders are *very* good at quant stuff… …and riding unicycles.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Harvey Mudd probably fields a lot of wall street > quants. A number have also probably launched > successful new computing technologies. > > Mudders are *very* good at quant stuff… …and > riding unicycles. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but bchadwick actually speaks a grain of truth here. The only person I know from Harvey Mudd is one of the founding partners of AQR. Frickin’ genius.

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How does school size equate to starting salary? > > East Tennessee State University is a small school > and I bet the starting salary for grads there is a > bottle of moonshine and two beaver pelts. It doesn’t “equate”, but nonetheless school size is a factor. The median of ~200 highly qualified applicants coming out of HMC will be higher than the median of, say, the 3000+ coming out of Cornell.