How to study Ethics? I am a CFA level 3 candidate

Hello.

This is weird. when I study a lot of Ethics, I always got the worst scores in Ethics both in Level 2 and Level 3.
So for me, Ethics, is always, a subject I should not spend time on except for few things to memorize. Spend most of the time on other subjects.

Is this the best way really?

1 Like

Please help!

Read from Standards of Practice Handbook.
Look for finer points on guidance.It also has questions in the end.Sometimes, ethics cases can also be found on CFAI website.
These will have additional questions if appropriate standard
The clarity of concepts required is the highest at level III.
If you think you are erring,do it on the side of abundant caution, avoiding any conflict of interest/ compromise in objectivity etc
And while you might still feel it is touch n go,after the exam,you would ultimately do fine

1 Like

Ethics is an important topic for CFA candidates to study, as the CFA Institute Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct form the cornerstone of the CFA Program. To study ethics, you should first familiarize yourself with the CFA Institute Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct. This code sets out the ethical principles that guide the professional conduct of CFA Institute members and candidates, and includes standards related to professionalism, integrity, confidentiality, and the public interest.

In addition to studying the code itself, you should also consider the following steps:

1. Understand the ethical principles underlying the code: The code is based on several fundamental ethical principles, such as integrity, objectivity, and confidentiality. Understanding these principles will help you understand the reasoning behind the specific standards set out in the code.
  2. Reflect on ethical dilemmas: As you study the code, think about ethical dilemmas that you may encounter in your professional life and how you would apply the code to resolve them.
  3. Consider real-world examples: Look for examples of ethical conduct in the financial industry and consider how the principles in the code apply to those situations.
  4. Seek guidance from your peers and mentors: Discuss ethical dilemmas and scenarios with your peers and mentors, and consider their perspectives on how to approach these situations.
  5. Participate in ethics-related learning opportunities: Look for opportunities to participate in ethics-related learning events, such as webinars, workshops, or conferences. These can be a great way to learn more about ethical decision-making and gain insight from industry experts.

Reference:
CFA Institute official website
VG Learning Destination Blog

1 Like