Internship/Temp Employment Assistance Appreciated

I need some assistance obtaining an internship or temporary employment. The specific position is open to anything investment management related (CFA qualifiying experience type work). I will be finished in my current role near the end of April and I am seeking temporary employment prior to my full time MBA program starting August 24th. I have been searching frantically in my current location (Twin Cities) and now I wish to cast a wider net. I would be interested in speaking with anyone on this board whose employer is in the market for an intern/temp for this summer. I am open to relocation anywhere in the USA. My brief resume: Trade Settlement/Operations – 2 years Personal Income Taxes – 2 tax seasons Product Management Intern – 1 year BS Finance – Cum Laude CFA Level 2 Candidate Awaiting CAIA Level 1 Results Series 7/66 Eagle Scout Full resume per request. My email is kevinh109 at gmail.

temp/intern does not qualify for work experience. Good luck though!

mpnoonan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > temp/intern does not qualify for work experience. > > Good luck though! Yeah, I realize that. What I’m getting at is I’m looking broadly at various investment positions. I hope this works, I’m looking for any handle to grab onto!

I would send a resume out to any investment firm looking for a summer intern. My firm is hiring summer interns but I do not think it is paid, obviously trying to save money. But you may be able to get some MBA credit.

ditch - if you are interested in a very part time and unpaid internship [think of it as more of a project or project(s)] that you could do remotely let me know. The opportunity could at least put a few lines on your resume and produce some work product that you can demonstrate later. xsellside at gmail dot com

Eagle scout??

we might need an intern to do scanning work this summer…which although its investment documents you would be scanning I dont think that counts as investment related per se. It would also probably pay $10/hr or less…just throwing crap out there to ya…check the school’s job/intern website for ideas.

TV I may have to take you up on that. My alternative job to pay bills is cutting grass on a golf course. Eagle Scout - There are not many of us. In two instances, I got an interview due to it being a deciding factor since the managers received their Eagle Scout awards. It has a leadership attribute attached to it. xsellside - Once I am done with the tax season, I’ll be in touch to learn more about that. Since this was not mentioned, I am seeking paid work. I’m not situated well enough to just work for free to gain experience.

are you doing your MBA at the U of M? Augsburg?

mpnoonan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would send a resume out to any investment firm > looking for a summer intern. My firm is hiring > summer interns but I do not think it is paid, > obviously trying to save money. But you may be > able to get some MBA credit. I’m going to send a mass email out to all my contacts shortly with the same statement. I’ve been checking the main job search databases, company websites, craigslist, etc. Internships are very lean. Also, I have been in touch with career services at the school I will be attending this fall.

DC Zanini Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > are you doing your MBA at the U of M? Augsburg? UST

Good luck Ditch…hope you find sth.

I got a bite for two positions 1. County Real Estate Appraiser for the summer 2. CFA Society Intern @ 20 hours/week

if you do real estate appraisals can you come and value my house 105% of my mtge so I can sneak in under one of the new govt programs and get a 3% loan or something? Nice progress

Thanks tv. Both jobs pay pretty bad. I like the CFA Soc intern idea, but 20 hours a week is pretty light. I’m going to call the Soc director once I get a break.

Call me crazy but wouldn’t relocation and housing costs completely consume a $10/hour income? It can’t be that hard to find a temp job close to home for more than $3 above minimum wage, even a clerk at Wal-Mart can pull down that kind of cash.

I agree. I do have a safety job available to work at a country club cutting grass. I’m just making a last ditch effort at finding something that will bring professional development. And it would take more than 10 bucks an hour for me to justify a relocation.

Ditch you should give your alumni directory another look and see if they have space for another intern.

So I got a good lead today. An absolute return PM I know said he would be open to bringing someone on this summer to work on some projects. His firm is growing and they are looking at new things. When I inquired further about details he said, "Ditch, you’re a smart guy and have alot of curiosity, if there is something we want to instigate that you are curious about, technical analysis, modeling, alternative asset allocation, etc, we can support you while you research and see if it is worthwhile for our firm to put it to use.” The position sounds very good. He did caution me that the small firm runs lean and may not be able to compete with compensation that larger firms can offer. I don’t mind the poor pay, I think this would be a great opportunity.

Ditchdigger2CFA, you said you are willing to reallocated anywhere in the US, how about Canada? http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090317.wrbrokerages17/BNStory/Entertainment/ Axed talent finds a home on Bay St. Article Comments (54) BOYD ERMAN From Tuesday’s Globe and Mail March 17, 2009 at 3:27 AM EDT TORONTO — Bay Street is becoming a beacon of hope for financial workers set adrift by floundering firms around the world, with résumés pouring in to Toronto securities firms from bankers and traders in New York, London and other financial hubs. The reason? Canadian securities firms aren’t slashing jobs the way bigger rivals around the world are, and are using the opportunity to grab top talent. The result is that employment is holding up in Toronto’s financial towers and in Canada’s other main banking outposts in Calgary, Vancouver and Montreal, at least in comparison to the carnage in other countries. Figures released yesterday showed that the number of people working in the Canadian securities business fell by 3.5 per cent in 2008 from 2007 - which is a total of about 1,500 workers out of more than 40,000. Many of the lost jobs came as a result of foreign firms cutting back their operations in Canada. The cuts, while the largest since the tech wreck, take the number of people working in the business back to 2006 levels, according to the Investment Industry Association of Canada (IIAC). It’s a sharp contrast with Wall Street, with the State of New York reporting that securities industry employment has plunged 8.4 per cent, from 213,000 jobs in mid-2007 to 195,000 last November. New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg is forecasting that things could get much worse, with 46,000 financial workers expected to be out of a job by the middle of 2010. In Canada, “there is a good deal of optimism relative to the rest of the globe,” said Bill Vlaad of Vlaad and Co., a Toronto firm that helps bankers and traders find jobs. “We are getting so many calls inbound from expats - repatriation of Canadians who are in Dubai, or London or New York.” CIBC World Markets, the securities arm of Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, has brought in two senior executives from London in the past year, both former employees of Merrill Lynch & Co. Inc. One, Harry Culham, is a Canadian who returned home to head CIBC’s fixed-income and currencies business. The other, Tim Carrington, is new to Canada, crossing the Atlantic to head the bank’s global derivatives business from its Toronto office. “We’ve been very fortunate that these people have been freed up and we’ve been able to grab a bunch of them,” said Richard Nesbitt, chief executive officer of CIBC World Markets. “That’s good, long term, for Canada.” In general, Canadian firms did not staff up as aggressively during the boom as did firms in New York or London, helping to limit the decline in jobs here. “We’re conservative on the upside, but equally conservative on the downside,” Mr. Vlaad said, noting that when a sector is hot in the United States, securities firms hire aggressively and then “the minute the sector is dead they’ll slaughter the entire team.” Still, things aren’t all rosy on this side of the border. The 3.5-per-cent decline in employment is the biggest since a 6-per-cent drop after the tech stock crash, according to Jack Rando, director of capital markets at IIAC. “It’s pretty sizable, historically speaking,” he said, adding that the relatively small decline in bad times “just goes to show you how lean the industry is.” For now, many firms are getting by through cutting or eliminating bonuses. The guaranteed bonuses that were de rigueur during the boom are almost extinct; instead, many in the industry are just happy with a place to work, executives say