Is MFE poor man's MBA?

I talked to admin, my only option would be to apply for MBA. Weirdly, some people in the MFE program already got MBA, some are from top ten program. Is CFA + MFE can help me get a more MBA like type of job? That will save me painful trouble to get a MBA.

“Is CFA + MFE can help me get a more MBA like type of job? That will save me painful trouble to get a MBA.” An MBA will help you get an “MBA like type” job… You keep stating over and over that you want an MBA type job. The most direct course to achieve that dream is to get an MBA and apply for an MBA type job.

Quorky, thanks for your comments, I understand getting MBA is a direct route. However, it is too much costly to spend another 2 years – thinking about the opportunity costs and the money spent. So if CFA + MFE can achieve my goal I would rather take this short cut. I hope somebody on the forumn can provide some insights on this. Thanks again

stupid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Quorky, thanks for your comments, > > I understand getting MBA is a direct route. > However, it is too much costly to spend another 2 > years – thinking about the opportunity costs and > the money spent. So if CFA + MFE can achieve my > goal I would rather take this short cut. I hope > somebody on the forumn can provide some insights > on this. > > Thanks again in this tough job market for new entries into finance, you are better off going to MBA school and hopefully in two years the market will be better. if, however, you find a dream job before you start MBA then take the dream “MBA job” over MBA. that’s my adivice.

stupid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Quorky, thanks for your comments, > > I understand getting MBA is a direct route. > However, it is too much costly to spend another 2 > years – thinking about the opportunity costs and > the money spent. So if CFA + MFE can achieve my > goal I would rather take this short cut. I hope > somebody on the forumn can provide some insights > on this. > > Thanks again I forgot that you are actually in the MFE program already. It is a very tough decision. If you graduate with an MFE + CFA you may be able to go for a quantitative portfolio management position (front office). Nobody can ultimately make that decision except you. You should research the type of jobs you want and look at the skill set that they request. You will be able to gauge, whether it is a more quantitative role (maybe you stick out the program) or not (transfer to an MBA degree).

MFE thanks. I saw some people graduated last year from MFE taking jobs on technology side. Though they mainly do model valuation and pricing. They are paid like quants in mid office. Is that type of job worth taking or this would pigionhole you? When you do job search what you do matter more or which division you were at matter more?

If you want to do quant work in finance and/or play with derivatives, MFE sounds great. MBA makes you suitable for a many different roles in many different industries, so is less risky, albeit with a lower median top salary. Somewhere in the CFA curriculum they say that is to be expected.

I wish I had put my acts together before I got into this. It is costly now to realize MBA is actually a better route for me. In MFE, I did very well in MFE classes especially math. However, I just could not get myself interested. And I don’t like hang around with quant types.

Well, we probably don’t like hanging around with you either. :smiley:

Quant people have beards.

crap, is that a requirement?

What school did u get your MFE from?

CSK, do you have an MFE? I forget, I think I asked you this before…

Joey, I am sorry about my comments that I don’t like to hang out with quant types. The accurate way to put is: I cannot handle the competition atmosphere in the trading enviroments where most quants/traders are. I am sure quants are nice people to be around outside school/firm. Sorry again.

quorky Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CSK, do you have an MFE? > > I forget, I think I asked you this before… nah, just a BS in CS

or CS in BS… dunno which one honestly :slight_smile:

stupid, where are u attending for MFE? I would think MFE is better geared for finance, as MBA you really dont get/learn anything besides networking and schoolname (if you do happen to get into top Bschools).

AncientMkt, I thought so before I joined. However, later I found out most portfolio manager role is MBA type and they would continue to hire MBAs.

stupid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My target is a job in investment management: a > portfolio manager or risk manager depends on how > well I am doing. then get the MBA. done. make sure it is top 20

I just found out I’m interviewing for HEC (Paris) MBA in the next few weeks…