MBA Cheating - Case Study

kevinf12 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > >“I’m curious if snitching is justified in most > circumstances.” > If people are cheating, then yes, they should be > reported. If you see someone committing a crime, > you call 911.< > > So you call 911 every time someone speeds by you > on the road… i have them on my speed dial.

And the verdict was… Not kicked out! They plea bargained to stay in the program by forfeiting their scholarships. I guess everyone has their price. This kinda kills the whole, “creating ethical future business leaders” part of the MBA mission statement.

this thread does not deliver.

That bull$hit they should have “too dumb to come up with a proper way to cheat” stamped on their transcripts!

Soooo, did she return the favor?

if you cheat, you’re taking the risk. from my experience in academia, you’re rarely accused of cheating unless there was substantial evidence. enough of this.

CPierce Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Not to help your case, but do you know who the rat > may be? > > Is your school competitive? I can’t imagine that > the rat wanted your friend out of the class so > his/her class rank would climb a few spots. I > might see it happening in high school or maybe in > some undergrad, but not for business school. > Class rank usually means squat. Class rank means squat, but this rat just got his A devalued by the cheating clowns.

artvandalay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I saw a couple students cheating on an exam once. > I didn’t say anything, I didn’t really care. I’m > not sure if it happens a lot, we all had to sign a > form about academic dishonesty and the > repercussions (you WILL be kicked out of school) > and there is a statement in every syllabus for > every class about it. So if you cheat and are > caught, you are out of luck. I was sitting in a test for job. We were like 20 taking the test, and it was clearly specified that we were not allowed to use a calculator. Then this fat a$$ pulls out his mobile and starts typing on it. I asked for the HR dude and told him. The guy was kicked out of the test screaming “I have a PhD you f!cks!! how dare you test me anyway!!!”.

Hmmm, I wonder what the CFA code of ethics has to say on cheating. Hmmm.

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CPierce Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Not to help your case, but do you know who the > rat > > may be? > > > > Is your school competitive? I can’t imagine > that > > the rat wanted your friend out of the class so > > his/her class rank would climb a few spots. I > > might see it happening in high school or maybe > in > > some undergrad, but not for business school. > > Class rank usually means squat. > > > Class rank means squat, but this rat just got his > A devalued by the cheating clowns. +1.

In my undergrad finance classes, there used to be a whole group of Indian kids who were all in one way or another related to each other. They’d sit in the back corner and their cheating was so obvious it was sickening. They’d be muttering to each other in their Indian languages and would have hard copies of similar previous tests and quizzes obtained by brothers, cousins, sisters, uncles, brother in-laws, cousin in-laws who took the class before them. I really have no idea how they never got caught.

gongshowsgocheddar Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In my undergrad finance classes, there used to be > a whole group of Indian kids who were all in one > way or another related to each other. They’d sit > in the back corner and their cheating was so > obvious it was sickening. They’d be muttering to > each other in their Indian languages and would > have hard copies of similar previous tests and > quizzes obtained by brothers, cousins, sisters, > uncles, brother in-laws, cousin in-laws who took > the class before them. I really have no idea how > they never got caught. I’m sure the prof. knew what was going on. He/she just didn’t want to get sued by the ACLU for turning them in and getting them kicked out.

I spent a semester abroad in Mexico City at one of their most prestigious schools- I didn’t do a program but matriculated directly so I was in actual classes vs “study abroad” classes. I spent the entire semester in a perpetual state of amazement as to how the professor/ student dynamic worked. Kids would answer their cellphones and chat in class mid lecture. Copy- pasting paragraphs verbatim from the internet was their favored essay writing technique. Cheating on exams was blatant and I sometimes felt like the professors left the room on purpose do that they could just avoid having to deal with actually saying something about it. And some of these professors have places in the UN, wold bank, etc!! It was nuts- I would have my mouth literally gaping open… quickly understood why most would just come up north to study. My school had a pretty strong policy against cheating amongst the students. It wasn’t that ppl would rat you out, it was just understood that it wasn’t done, especially group cheating… I could never think of asking someone to do something along those lines. Very small school though- only ~175 students/year. Easier to maintain such an honor system when numbers are small enough since anyone would be sunned and exiled hunter-gatherer style :slight_smile:

QuantJock_MBA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m in a full time MBA program. I just got off > the phone with a classmate learning some terrible > news. > > A witch hunt occurred over break with an anonymous > email tipping off deans and professors of cheating > during a final. The individuals involved > allegedly looked at each others papers. Certain > answers matched which confirmed the anonymous > email accusation. > > The woman involved just called me in tears telling > me she will not be returning to school due to the > conclusion reached, and for me to be careful of > the snitches in class (Snitches get stitches). > > For those of you in grad programs, what is the > consequence of something like this? I told the > individual I’d help out with the appeal process > since we often studied together and I believe her > story. > > Finally, aside from cheating, what are the ethical > obligations in snitching? I could never see > myself telling on someone else. I’m in no > position to point a finger at someone when my own > hands are unclean. > > Per CFAI, reporting violations to the authorities > is recommended, not required. take a good look people…these “students” are SURELY the future Jeff Skillings/Ken Lay/Dennis Kozlowski’s of the world…

Jeff skilling and ken lay were too smart to get caught cheating. People that get caught cheating in university are just plain incompetent.

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > > I’m sure the prof. knew what was going on. He/she > just didn’t want to get sued by the ACLU for > turning them in and getting them kicked out. I ROFLed!