Somebody please explain the fascination with the MBA

I can start another thread “Please explain the fascination with women”. The fascination is not with women but with pretty women. HBS is definitely the Carmen Electra of MBA Universe and US Top 10/LBS/Insead MBA are like Playboy models. US Top 10-20 are other supermodels. Beyond that other MBAs are average/above average and below average girls. The point is its not MBA but the *BRAND* that matters

I think it’s not just about MBA or whatever jackassery, it’s all about top ranked schools. It’s not much about what your study, it’s more about the environment and kind of people around you. When you are surrounded by dedicated and smart people, it feeds your dedication. When you enter a top MBA school, you feel like you’re the star… whoa… I cracked top 10 MBA, and you might get a star like treatment from people around you for that achievement. BUT, once you enter the school you see everyone’s like you, in fact many people will be much smarter, so that level becomes your base level. That will make you more determined and more hungry and you’ll achieve more in life, in that process you’ll raise the reputation of your school as some jackass building institute, and the jackassery level to enter there will increase. I believe your confidence is directly proportional to confidence of people around you, more smarter the people in your surroundings more smarter you’ll be, that’s the charm of a top B-School for me, it’s more about developing as an individual, seriously!

AbhiJ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The point is its not MBA but the *BRAND* that > matters and *NETWORK*

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > As someone currently in the first year at business > school, I can tell you that it’s been a pretty > eye-opening experience for me from the standpoint > of understanding other major dimensions of > business, including marketing, strategy, > operations, and general tactics for persuasion and > leadership. I know that some people on this thread > think that an MBA is somehow a waste of time and a > major opportunity cost, but also realize that many > people who’ve said this haven’t attending business > school themselves (or maybe they just know > everything already). However, I do agree with > people’s assessments in that the value you extract > from your business school has a lot to do with the > caliber of school you attend, as well as the > quality of the peers around you. > > From my perspective, I do feel that my time in > equity research and private equity have seriously > sharpened my analytical skills – and I can > definitely appreciate why analytical skills are so > important to *other* industries when some of my > classmates defer to my opinion on a business > analysis case. However, there are other classes in > strategy and marketing where I can certainly say > that I’m not the first person to raise my hand. I > think it’s because in finance, we’re often in the > position of analyzing *other* people’s business > decisions, rather than making our own - and so in > that respect, I feel like I’m learning a lot from > my classmates. > > Anyway, business school has definitely been pretty > busy so far, with all the classes as well as the > litany of speaker events, career panels and > company management teams that come visit my school > every day. But with that said, my goal of > attending business school was to gain exposure to > other fields besides finance, and so even though > things have been really hectic so far, it’s been > worth it for me since it’s an opportunity for me > to fully immerse myself in exploring other fields, > not to mention that I’m surrounded by peers with > similar determination and drive as myself. > > I think the key thing to remember is that finance > isn’t the center of everyone’s universe even if it > may be for people on this forum, and for others > that are aspiring for positions of leadership and > strategy at other firms, the things you learn in > business school – particularly in the areas of > teamwork and leading people – are some of the > most useful things you can learn. That’s what > people have told me, and although it’s a bit > premature to say for sure that this is how I feel, > I’ve definitely enjoyed what I’ve seen and I have > no regrets about being back in school right now. > > Hope that helps - just my two cents. Did you ever reveal where you decided to go besides mentioning it was a top 3?

No

skycfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ That’s probably true. > The Bigger question is: How to get into big firms. > > Since there are roughly 200 law schools in US, > most would not make it. > > Gee, I’ll almost do anything to get the badge of > your school. > > BTW, good to see you man. Thank you.

former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > numi Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > As someone currently in the first year at > business > > school, I can tell you that it’s been a pretty > > eye-opening experience for me from the > standpoint > > of understanding other major dimensions of > > business, including marketing, strategy, > > operations, and general tactics for persuasion > and > > leadership. I know that some people on this > thread > > think that an MBA is somehow a waste of time and > a > > major opportunity cost, but also realize that > many > > people who’ve said this haven’t attending > business > > school themselves (or maybe they just know > > everything already). However, I do agree with > > people’s assessments in that the value you > extract > > from your business school has a lot to do with > the > > caliber of school you attend, as well as the > > quality of the peers around you. > > > > From my perspective, I do feel that my time in > > equity research and private equity have > seriously > > sharpened my analytical skills – and I can > > definitely appreciate why analytical skills are > so > > important to *other* industries when some of my > > classmates defer to my opinion on a business > > analysis case. However, there are other classes > in > > strategy and marketing where I can certainly > say > > that I’m not the first person to raise my hand. > I > > think it’s because in finance, we’re often in > the > > position of analyzing *other* people’s business > > decisions, rather than making our own - and so > in > > that respect, I feel like I’m learning a lot > from > > my classmates. > > > > Anyway, business school has definitely been > pretty > > busy so far, with all the classes as well as > the > > litany of speaker events, career panels and > > company management teams that come visit my > school > > every day. But with that said, my goal of > > attending business school was to gain exposure > to > > other fields besides finance, and so even > though > > things have been really hectic so far, it’s > been > > worth it for me since it’s an opportunity for > me > > to fully immerse myself in exploring other > fields, > > not to mention that I’m surrounded by peers > with > > similar determination and drive as myself. > > > > I think the key thing to remember is that > finance > > isn’t the center of everyone’s universe even if > it > > may be for people on this forum, and for others > > that are aspiring for positions of leadership > and > > strategy at other firms, the things you learn > in > > business school – particularly in the areas of > > teamwork and leading people – are some of the > > most useful things you can learn. That’s what > > people have told me, and although it’s a bit > > premature to say for sure that this is how I > feel, > > I’ve definitely enjoyed what I’ve seen and I > have > > no regrets about being back in school right > now. > > > > Hope that helps - just my two cents. > > Do they all talk and write like you in BSchool ?

Depends how much free time they have. In most cases, no. But actually that was my first post on this forum in weeks so figured I’d make it somewhat of a dooooozy.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Depends how much free time they have. In most > cases, no. But actually that was my first post on > this forum in weeks so figured I’d make it > somewhat of a dooooozy. thanks for all the b school post… you been very helpful

Another unhappy law student… http://bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20101020bc_law_student_asks_for__back/srvc=home&position=3

krnyc2008 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Another unhappy law student… > > http://bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/2010102 > 0bc_law_student_asks_for__back/srvc=home&position= > 3 boston people whine too much. maybe they’re french, but don’t know it.